Forms and Policies

Transfer Credits

There is no automatic transfer of credit toward a graduate degree or certificate of advanced study. A maximum of 12 graduate-level credit hours of transfer work from an approved regionally or nationally accredited institution may be applied to a degree program or certificate of advanced study upon departmental/adviser approval. Academic departments reserve the right to allow fewer transfer credits. The applicability of transfer credit to a graduate certificate program is determined by the department. The 12-credit maximum does not apply to the master's degree program in multidisciplinary studies, which allows a maximum of 15 credit hours of transfer work upon advisory committee approval.

Specific restrictions:
  1. Transfer work must be a coherent part of the required program of study and be approved by the major department.
  2. Transfer work must be completed within the six-year period immediately preceding the date of graduation.
  3. Only grades of B or better are acceptable for transfer.Grades of S or P are not acceptable.
  4. Coursework taken to fulfill degree requirements for one master's degree or certificate of advanced study may not be applied toward another master's degree, graduate certificate, or certificate of advanced study.
  5. Official transcripts must be submitted to the Graduate School in a sealed envelope from the institution at which the coursework being requested for transfer was completed. The institution must be accredited by an approved regional or national accrediting agency.
  6. Transfer credit requested from institutions using the quarter system will
    be converted to semester hours using the following equation:
    1 quarter hour = 2/3 (.66) semester hour
    2 quarter hours = 1-1/3 (1.33) semester hours
    3 quarter hours = 2 semester hours

Transfer credit requests should be presented for consideration at the time the student applies for degree candidacy or as soon as the coursework is completed. Approved transfer credit is added to the student's official record when  the student's approved degree candidacy application and official transcripts of transfer credit are received by the Graduate School.