This post-master’s degree program leads to a certificate of advanced study (CAS) in educational leadership and to New York State certification of both School Building Leader and School District Leader.
302 Bacon Hall
1300 Elmwood Ave
Buffalo, NY 14222
Phone: (716) 878-5916
Fax: (716) 878-6033
1. Evidence of a valid permanent or professional certificate in classroom teaching, pupil personnel service, or administration that was issued by any state or national government (submit one copy with application).
2. A master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
3. Three recommendation forms that attest to applicant potential as an educational leader.
4. Three years of successful teaching and/or supervisory and/or pupil personnel service experience in schools or agencies (pre-K-12).
5. Statement of leadership interests, goals, and relevant professional and community service.
6. An interview providing evidence of successful leadership potential.
7. Evidence of satisfactory verbal and written English language skills.
8. Acceptable score on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
Each admission requirement is scored according to criteria on an evaluation
rubric. The total score is compiled so that any one requirement will not preclude admission, but an overall snapshot of potential student success will be considered.
In addition, all applicants should adhere to the requirements detailed in the Admission to a Graduate Program section in this catalog and utilize any related Supplemental Application Forms.
1. A minimum GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) is required to remain in the program. Coursework (including transfer credit) and field and internship experiences must be completed within six years of the date of enrollment in the program.
2. An application for admission to candidacy, signed by the student, the student’s academic adviser, the department chair, and the School of Education dean, must be submitted to the Graduate School after the completion of 6 credit hours and before the completion of 12 credit hours.
3. A maximum of 6 credit hours of independent study may be included in the program.
4. After the successful completion of EDL 703 (Educational Leadership Internship, a 3-credit course), students may enroll in EDL 705 (School District Internship, a 2-credit course) At the completion of each internship experience, a letter grade of S (Satisfactory) or U (Unsatisfactory) is awarded.
5. All coursework must receive a minimum grade of C to meet program requirements.
6. A maximum of 12 graduate credit may be transferred upon approval. Only grades of B or better will be accepted as transfer credit.
Required Courses 27 credits
EDL 552 Public School Law
EDL 606 School-Community Relations
EDL 607 Site-Based Leadership
EDL 612 School Business Management and Finance
EDL 630 Curriculum Leadership
EDL 631 Supervision of Teaching
EDL 702 Field Experiences
EDL 703 Educational Leadership Internship (SBL)
EDL 704 Seminar in Educational Change
Problem Solving Sequence 8 credits
Choose two (2) of the three (3) problem-solving courses and the required internship for a total of 8 credits.
EDL 559 Principles of Creative Problem Solving
EDL 706 Problems in Leadership
EDL 683 Facilitation of Group Problem Solving
EDL 705 School District Leader Internship (2 credits)
Elective Courses 3 credits
Select one course from the following list
EDL 500 Multicultural Education
EDL 560 Methods, Theories, and Models of Creative Learning
EDL 590 Advanced School Law (course by contract)
EDL 602 Administration of Special Education Programs
EDL 608 Administration of Programs for the Young Child
EDL 652 Special Education School Law
EDL 707 Computer Applications in Education Administration
EDL 714 Personnel Administration in Schools
Total Required Credit Hours 38 credits
All courses are 3 credit hours unless otherwise indicated.
Tuition: $13,555.00 
Fees: $942.89 
Room & Board: $0.00 
Books & Supplies: $990.00 per academic year
On-Time Completion Rate: Not Applicable
Normal Time to Complete Program: 48 Weeks (38 credit hours)
Median Title IV Debt: Not Applicable
Median Private Debt: Not Applicable
Number of Students Completing Program between July 1, 2011, and June 30, 2012: 7
Number of Students Completing with any Student Loan Debt: Not Applicable
 Completed using fall 2011 and fall 2012 resident tuition and fees. Assumes full-time tuition (12 or more credit hours) for 3 semesters.
 See footnote 1.
 Room and Board are optional for graduate students. The cost was $10,470.00 for the 2011-2012 academic year. For room and board options, go to the residence halls website found at http://www.buffalostate.edu/residencelife/index.xml