Enrollment Issues

To receive federal and state aid you must be a regularly admitted student in a degree or certificate program or meet one of two exceptions.  A student's matriculation status determines whether they have been "regularly admitted".

Each individual aid program also has eligibility requirements based on the credit load that a student takes.

Students also need to be aware of the affect that repeating a course will have on their aid eligibility.

Matriculation Status

Most students are admitted to the school provisionally pending receipt of a final transcript.  New freshmen who fail to submit a transcript which shows receipt of a high school diploma and graduate students who fail to submit a transcript showing that a bachelor's degree has been conferred are not eligible to receive financial aid.  If aid has been disbursed it will be returned and the student will owe the school for any accrued charges and the amount of aid that was refunded to the student for living expenses.

Students taking continuing education courses, visiting students, and special students who have been allowed to take courses but have not been formally accepted by the college are considered non-matriculated and are not eligible to receive financial aid.

Postbaccalaureate teacher certification students are eligible to receive aid as undergraduates even though they are not in a degree or certificate program.  Likewise, undeclared (premajor) graduate students may also be eligible to receive aid for one year as an undergraduate, if they are taking prerequisites, even though they have not been accepted into a degree program.

Credit Load

Students must be enrolled half-time (6 credit hours) to receive Federal Stafford Loans or Federal PLUS loans.

Students must be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours, or 9 hours for graduate assistants) through the end of the tuition refund period (fourth week) to receive TAP. 

Federal Pell Grants are prorated based on the number of credit hours a student is enrolled.  The corresponding credit loads are full-time (12 or more credits), 3/4 time (9 - 11.5 credits), half-time (6 - 8.5 credits), or less than half-time (0.5 - 5.5 credits).  Awards will be adjusted up or down to reflect changes in enrollment status through the end of the tuition refund period (fourth week) even if the grant has been disbursed.  After the fourth week changes up or down will not change the award amount unless a student withdraws from all classes.

APTS is for students enrolled 3 - 11.5 credit hours.

Course Repeats

BSC policy allows students to repeat some classes for which they received a passing grade.  However, TAP policy only allows students to repeat courses that were previously failed.  Therefore, if a student is repeating a class with a passing grade and wants to receive TAP they must be enrolled for at least 12 credits in addition to the course(s) they are repeating.

Students are now limited to repeating a course once.  If a student registers for a course a third time it is considered an illegal repeat and will not be used in determining a student's credit load for financial aid purposes.  Also, in determining whether a student is making satisfactory academic progress for federal aid the repeated course will be counted as attempted each time it is taken but counted as completed only once.