Configure your Buffalo State account at home using Outlook 2007/2010
The steps below explain how to setup your Buffalo State e-mail account on your home computer in Outlook 2007/2010 using IMAP. These instructions apply to faculty/staff only (not students).
Please Note Setting up an IMAP connection is not supported by CTS, and the information on this page is provided for your convenience only. CTS staff won't be able to assist with setup beyond the instructions provided here. Outlook Web Access (OWA) is the only officially supported method of accessing your e-mail from off campus.
1. Make sure that Outlook is closed.
2. Click the Start button and select Control Panel.
- In Windows XP, double-click the Mail icon.
- In Windows Vista/7, select User Accounts, and click Mail.
3. Click the E-mail Accounts... button.
4. Click the New... button.
5. Select Manually configure server settings or additional server types, and click Next.
6. Select Internet E-mail, click Next. This will bring up the Internet E-mail Settings window.
7. Enter your name and e-mail address in the User Information section.
8. In Server Information section, enter the following:
- Account Type: select IMAP from the drop-down
- Incoming mail server: owa.buffalostate.edu
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): must obtain from your Internet Service Provider (ISP)
TIME WARNER & VERIZON OUTGOING MAIL SERVERS
Time Warner smtp-server.roadrunner.com
9. Enter your Buffalo State user name and password in the Logon Information section.
10. Click the More Settings... button and select the Advanced tab.
11. Select SSL from the Use the following type of encrypted connection drop-down.
12. Verizon Subscribers Only! Click the Outgoing Server tab, check the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication box, and enter your Verizon user name and password.